Fascinating Historical Facts
- The 1992 Cougar baseball team was ranked No. 5 NATIONALLY the highest ranked team in any sport at East
- Over the past twenty eight years , East baseball teams have won 472 games against 252 losses and 5 ties , for a total of 725 games.
- In 1988 Glenn Foley hit 6 homeruns in 6 consecutive games.
- The Cougar record for hits in a season is 47 by Steve Young in 1992.
- The Cherry Hill East record for strikeouts is 17 by Chris Kolodzey against Myrtle Beach High School in the Hawaiian Tropic Tournament , Orel Hershiser is second with 15 set in a 3-0 win over West Deptford in a State Tournament Game .
- The only players to hit three triples in a game were Todd Azar against Moorestown in 1981 and Mike Fugaro against Camden in 1989.
- The record for the most singles in a season is 37 by Dan Karbach in 1989 , Dan played at La Salle. Steve Young is second with 34 in 1992 .
- The East record for homeruns in a season is 11 , set by Glenn Foley in 1988 . He also has the career homerun record with 21 .
- In 2009, Sam Slutsky tied Chris Canosa's record for the highest season batting average of .569. Chris broke Steve Youngs record average of .548 in 1998. Steve Young teaches at Eastern H.S.
- Chris Canosa set the season mark with 20 doubles in 1999.
- The Cougars attempted 78 stolen bases in 1986 and were successful 70 times, and in 2002 we were 46 out of 49 , the best.
- Dan Karbach playing first base played the entire 1989 season without committing an error. He had 113 putouts and 11 assists.
- East hit three consecutive homeruns against Camden in 1976 . The feat was accomplished by John Nicholson , Orel Hershiser and Rick Santarone . Rick played for the New York Yankees and is the head baseball coach at Woodbury. In 1988 , Orel was the National League Cy Young and World Series M.V.P. He is now retired from the LA Dodgers in 2000.
- Derek Liu stole 24 bases for the Cougars in 2000 . Derek Liu with 53 holds the career stolen base record.
- Most at bats in a season is 105 by Larry Price in 1982 , he played in two college world series for the University of South Carolina.
- The school record for the most runs scored in a season was 302 in 1999 . Most runs in a season was Eric Reiter with 34 .
The Cougars attempted 59 stolen bases in 2000 and were successful 56 times.